THE WARSAW’S PRAGA MUSEUM the branch of the Museum of Warsaw
There are many museums in Warsaw, but all are located on the left bank of the River Vistula. The Warsaw’s Praga Museum is the first institution of its kind which preserves the heritage and the unique atmosphere of the right-bank of the city consisting of historical districts such as Praga, Bródno, Białołęka, Tarchomin, Kamionek, Skaryszew, Targówek, Grochów, Gocław, Saska Kępa and Zerzeń.
The Museum of Warsaw’s Praga is located in historic premises at Targowa 50/52 in the neighbourhood of the well known Różycki’s Market. The history of this property is strongly connected to the development of Praga and Skaryszew. There are three front buildings: Krzyżanowski’s House – the oldest brick built house in the district of Praga, dating back to the end of the 18th century, Sokołowski House from 1873, and Rothblith House built in 1829-30. In the back courtyard you will find a modest outbuilding hiding a real treasure - exceptional decorations from an old Jewish house of prayer.
The architectural project consists of the renovation and adaptation of the three historic front houses as well as an outbuilding with their polychromes (decorative architectural elements). The courtyard will be closed by a new building serving administrative and educational purposes.
The Museum of Warsaw’s Praga is a branch of the Museum of Warsaw. It is financed by the City of Warsaw. The construction has received a grant from the European Union within the framework of the European Regional Development Fund: Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment (OPI&E). The opening of the Museum is planned for 2014.
The history of each family or institution will become a part of the Museum’s collection and enrich the future exhibition. By building up the collection of items connected with Warsaw’s right-bank history we will be able to preserve its cultural heritage and to present many traditions of the district. Among the donated memorabilia so far there are documents, photographs, objects of everyday use, products from right-bank factories and workshops. And we are waiting for more!
…AND ORAL HISTORY
The Museum’s collection consists not only of material objects. In order to save the memory of past generations, important places and events, we are running the Oral History Project. Voices and memories of witnesses of the past are being recorded with the intention of creating a very special source of knowledge about the city and its inhabitants. Recordings will be presented in the future exhibition and will be accessible in the Museum’s archive.
The Museum staff will be moving to the buildings at Targowa 50/52, but for the moment you can reach us in our temporary office at Ząbkowska 23/25. Currently we are working on a scenario for the permanent exhibition but we have also organized a series of temporary exhibitions (e.g. about the 10th-Anniversary Stadium and the wayside shrines in Old Praga), conferences (e.g. the cultural and ethnic diversity of right-bank Warsaw) and publications. Since 2008 we have been taking part in annual events such as „Jarmark Floriański” (St. Florian’s Fair), „Praskie spotkania z kulturą” (Praga’s Encounters with Culture), „Muzyczny spacer po Starej Pradze” (A Musical Walk through Old Praga), „Noc Muzeów” (Night of Museums).
The Museum’s temporary office is open Monday to Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. It is located at Ząbkowska 23/25, phone number: +48 22 818 10 77, e-mail: email@example.com, homepage: www.muzeumpragi.pl and www.muzeumpragi.mhw.pl
Wernisaż wystawy "Czuwaj Prago! Stulecie harcerstwa w prawobrzeżnej Warszawie", 14 maja 2011 r. Fot. J. Wiśniewski
Gry przygotowane na imprezę cieszyły się dużym zainteresowaniem dzieci..., Jarmark Floriański 2012, fot. M. Dębek
Kamienna figura MB Niepokalanej, 1906 r., ul. Karnicka (przy torach kolejowych). Wystawa "Białołęckie kapliczki".
Wystawa "Praga. Prawobrzeżna dzielnica Warszawy" w sali ekspozycyjnej Muzeum Warszawskiej Pragi w Koneserze. Fot. G. Kułakowska.
Jacek Szpotański, maj 2010 r. Fot. K. Kuzko
Przychodnia obwodowa ul. Dąbrowszczaków, widok od placu Leńskiego, 1969, fot. J. Smogorzewski, zb MHW